Choosing between Semrush or Long Tail Pro is a tough decision because these two SEO platforms present the battle of two worlds. Semrush aims to be an all-around and comprehensive SEO tool that primarily caters to professionals and agencies. Long Tail Pro might not be as rich in features, but it certainly has a lot to offer, especially for small business owners and individuals.
If you’d like to learn more, the following sections focus on Semrush vs Long Tail Pro showdown in different feature categories. Keep reading to learn what both SEO suites have to offer and how to choose a better option for your requirements!
What are Semrush and Long Tail Pro?
Semrush Overview (+ Pros and Cons)
If you read any Semrush comparison available, the odds are it will describe it as one of the strongest SEO suites in the market. The platform has been around for over 15 years and it keeps perfecting its tools. Semrush is now a comprehensive SEO tool that serves digital marketing needs and covers the needs of search engine optimization specialists, advertising experts, and others in the online marketing industry.
With Semrush, you can expect domain and keyword analytics, detailed reporting and site audits, as well as a content marketing platform. Additional tools that focus on trends or local SEO, and an agency growth kit, are available as add-ons.
- Sorting results in the keyword research ensures you can find the data you need easily
- In-depth backlink analysis with referring domain categories and competitor gap research
- Extensive thematic reports when auditing your website
- SEO writing assistant and content marketing tools
- Expensive, especially since you’ll probably need a few add-ons
- It comes with a learning curve – not easy to use
Long Tail Pro Overview (+ Pros and Cons)
At the moment of launch in 2008, Long Tail Pro had a clear focus. The platform wanted to focus on allowing content creators and website owners to find long-tail keywords that would work for positioning on Google. Today, the platform offers much more than that and it’s a viable SEO software for individuals and small teams.
As you’ll see in our Long Tail Pro comparison, the platform now offers extensive keyword research, backlink analytics, rank tracking, site audit, and other useful features. The service kept its prices reasonably low, which puts it in the range of affordable SEO platforms.
- Excellent for identifying long-tail keywords
- Affordable and good for those with limited marketing budgets
- You can search only for new or lost backlinks
- Intuitive interface attractive for beginners
- Only shows basic information when tracking ranks
- No social media or writing assistant tools
With extensive features offered by both Long Tail Pro and Semrush, it’s necessary to divide them in categories for better analysis. That’s what our expert team did and here are our impressions after testing both SEO tools!
Seeing what this platform can do, we quickly realized this was a strong start in the Semrush vs Long Tail Pro showdown. The creators proudly claim it offers the biggest keyword database in the SEO industry, and they aren’t wrong.
After you enter the keyword, you’ll quickly receive the overview that shows global and national volume statistics, CPC results, keyword difficulty, and relevant trends. The results are nicely divided into sections, and you can check related keywords and variations but also questions that fit the seed phrase. You can check how PLA and ad copies look if you need inspiration, which can be a consideration when choosing the winner of Long Tail Pro vs Semrush.
Trends are a nice touch since you can see keyword fluctuations and determine if the phrase is particularly popular during certain months, or if its popularity has increased recently.
Organic keywords search will show you the top organic keywords for each website, as well as position changes. Combined with details on traffic and keyword volume, this is an important factor when analyzing your or a rival’s site. Keyword gap is an excellent way to compare with other websites and find the best phrases to optimize your campaigns.
Another important feature when you compare Long Tail Pro and Semrush is the Keyword Magic Tool, which will create thousands of different combinations that include the seed phrase. It’s how you can identify long-tail keywords, and the manager tool allows grouping them in specific categories.
Long Tail Pro
It’s difficult and expensive to rank for the most popular keywords nowadays. Entailing them in the right long-term phrase could give you an advantage, and these terms still play a huge role when ranking in search engines. It’s the approach that Long Tail Pro aims to use, but don’t get this wrong. LTP is an all-around keyword research tool suitable for all types of users, ranging from content creators to marketing experts.
You begin by creating a project and entering the domain to search for keywords. It’s possible to retrieve suggestions, but also enter seed keywords previously planned. Advanced options include filtering results by certain monthly searches, focus on Google Ads paid searches, or reveal keywords based on competitiveness. It’s also possible to pick a number of suggestions to receive, which ensures you have total control over the subscription plan.
Our Semrush vs Long Tail Pro comparison shows that both tools deliver results equally fast. The results page shows everything from volume to ranking value, language, and average Google Ads bid. It’s convenient to filter results by words, but the unique parameter is the average Keyword Competition. It’s similar to keyword difficulty since it probably, and you can receive detailed statistics for it if you click on a particular phrase. The targeted competitiveness will show you how to find those phrases with low competition. Customizing and exporting results, as well as grouping them ensures you keep all data in order.
The main difference in the Long Tail Pro vs Semrush comparison in the keyword research department is the focus that LTP has on longer phrases. It’s excellent for those with a limited budget who need keywords that won’t cost a fortune, but can get a significant improvement in search engine rankings. Semrush has a fine set of additional tools that might attract you combined with the basic keyword research.
The critical thing to pinpoint in this Semrush vs Long Tail Pro showdown is that this platform has over 43 trillion backlinks and counting. If you want comprehensive backlink details, this analysis offers the most extensive details.
Here are some statistical categories you’ll see:
- Backlink type. Is it a text or image link, or perhaps a form or a frame?
- Link attributes. Distinguish follow from no-follow links, and check the percentage of sponsored and UGC links.
- Referring domain categories. Apart from total referring domain number, check if it comes from news, business, or other domain directories. The list includes subcategories, such as newspapers, local, or world news.
Another thing Semrush comparison displays is the authority score and changes in the last month. It’s the backlink audit that will evaluate all links, which is great for detecting those that actually harm your site. Toxicity Score will ensure you can detect the problematic links and resolve those issues easy. Google Search Console Integration works flawlessly if you want to pull even more data when building your link profile.
The backlink gap will compare your and the competitor’s site to identify the opportunities you can use o strengthen your website’s authority score. Combine these with the Link Building tool to see sites that could send links to yours. Large companies will appreciate the bulk analysis option, which allows searching up to 200 domains or pages at a time.
Long Tail Pro
It can’t get any simpler to launch a backlink analysis, whether you use Long Tail Pro or Semrush. This platform can analyze a specific URL or an entire domain. It’s also possible to search only new or lost backlinks if you need to narrow the analysis for specific results.
The results will be available quickly, but it was impossible not to notice that you don’t have extensive info available. Yes, all basics are covered, but if you compare Semrush and Long Tail Pro, it’s clear that the latter doesn’t go nearly as deep when providing data.
You will see the total number of backlinks and referring domains, as well as the estimated link and domain quality. The list of displayed links will depend on the subscription you have available. The information includes trust and citation flow ratings, anchor text, target URL, and info on when the data was harvested. It’s easy to identify broken links and export results.
If you only need backlink analysis as a supplemental tool to keyword research, then you can go with Long Tail Pro. But if you want extensive information, including extra utilities like finding gaps compared to competitor sites, the clear winner of the Long Tail pro vs Semrush showdown is the second platform.
The position tracking tool is another strong suit of this platform in the Semrush vs Long Tail Pro comparison. In the basic overview, you will see the current visibility in percentages, as well as historical data with the trends. Estimated traffic and the average position information are also available, as well as categorizing ranks into top three, ten, 20, or 100 in the search engine. You’ll also see how many keyword ranks have improved since the last search, which is an incredibly useful metric overall.
You can then proceed to check out how websites rank for a particular keyword. Apart from the estimated traffic, the tool also categorizes based on the actual ranking, but also the Share of Voice metric. You can use the Ranking Distribution table to see how you and the competitors perform for certain keywords and also receive information about different tags. It’s worth noting that Google Ads results will also be a part of the results.
Our Long Tail Pro vs Semrush team noticed that this tool has a comparison of landing pages that shows you the best-performing pages of your rivals, so you can easily get the statistics about their top-performing phrases. Analyzing the latest trends can show you up and coming competitors to pay attention to in the future.
The tool has graphical presentations of different information, and you can filter rank tracking based on a location or device. You can check the Featured Snippets report to identify opportunities and see how best snippets in SERP results look.
Our Long Tail Pro vs Semrush analysis also shows that you can use the Sensor tool to detect any volatility in search engine page results. That can help identify trends and use those opportunities to your benefit. Conducting global online research is also possible with Semrush, and you can see monthly data from 2012 for extensive analysis.
Long Tail Pro
The clean layout is attractive for newbies and beginners. You’ll find the fields in the top section where you should enter keywords, URL, or domain, and the desired location. It’s possible to pick daily, weekly, or other frequency to update the results.
Our Long Tail pro vs Semrush experts noticed that the supported search engines are Google, Bing, and Yahoo. That’s enough to receive reliable results, although the impression is they could be more extensive.
The good news is that all the basics are there. You can see the current project positions in the first 100 results for the search engine rankings and see improved and declined keywords, which helps track the campaign progress.
In the lower section, you’ll notice the list of keywords and ranking historical info compared to yesterday, last week, and last month. It’s possible to see when the next update is coming or schedule to deliver updates to your email address.
Long Tail Pro vs Semrush comparison shows similar results as for the previous features. LTP is easier to use and has a cleaner interface while being capable of covering all your basic rank-tracking needs. But for detailed information and insights like analyzing the volatility of SERP results is only available with Semrush.
The service has a wide array of technical SEO tools, but it all starts with a detailed site audit. Our Semrush vs Long Tail Pro team mentions that this platform can look for over 140 different SEO-related problems.
The results categorize them into three categories – errors, warnings, and notices. Errors are those you want to fix immediately and Semrush will clearly mention that. It’s great that you can see thematic reports in six different categories. These cover the following:
- Crawlability. It serves to ensure GoogleBot can crawl your website, and the report includes anything from duplicate content, slow pages, 4xx errors, and other issues to handle.
- Site performance. Page loading speed is the report’s focus and you’ll see which pages load in 0,5 seconds or less, and which take more.
- Internal linking. If there are problems like broken internal links or an overload or page links, this report will show them.
- HTTPS. The report is critical for website security as it shows if your certificates and protocols are up to date, and whether subdomains support HTTPS.
- International SEO. The report is great for those who run multi-lingual sites as it focuses on analyzing hreflang implementation.
According to our Long Tail Pro vs Semrush team, this platform allows comparing two crawls at any point. That will show a detailed overview of errors, issues, pages crawled and other details. The statistics about new and fixed issues are also helpful to show if you made any progress in repairing technical problems.
You can use the log file analyzer to see how GoogleBot communicates to your site. The report will analyze file types, such as CSS, HTML, and JS, and also identify status codes. That’s convenient to find any navigational, structural, or technical issues that stop the bot from crawling website pages.
Long Tail Pro
The site audit offered by Long Tail Pro is surprisingly comprehensive. You can enter the website to analyze, pick a device (mobile or desktop), and also select the desired number of pages to crawl.
The report starts with the Site Health rating, which offers a fast general assessment of your website’s current technical condition. The overview page will also show errors, warnings, and notices to segment all issues. You can also see top problems listed, such as images not having alt attributes or pages that miss character encoding. It’s possible to see how many of the crawled pages have issues, and also robots.txt updates.
Thematic reports are also available, and there is a detailed Long Tail Pro comparison to previous crawls in a separate tab. That’s convenient for tracking your progress in improving your website’s health. It’s possible to see detailed information about issues and crawled pages in separate tabs, too.
Our Semrush vs Long Tail Pro comparison shows that the former offers more data to estimate your website’s health. However, this is an area where LTP almost matches since it also offers categorizing issues by priority and thematic reports. The conclusion is that both tools are a great choice for monitoring and improving your site health.
Comparison of Other Features
Now that we’ve passed the main functions, what else can Semrush and Long Tail Pro offer? We’ll start with Semrush, and here’s an overview of features that you could find useful:
- On-page SEO checker. The tool is useful for receiving different ideas for improving your site, ranging from technical SEO to backlinks, content, and semantics. It’s an important feature when choosing the Long Tail Pro vs Semrush winner since the actionable intel based on analyzing the tool’s vast database can be extremely valuable.
- Google Search Console and Looker Studio Integration. The platform offers extensive integrating capabilities to receive even more data and ensure the information is accurate.
- SEO writing assistant. You can get targeted keywords to include in your text, get suggestions regarding keyword stuffing and receive suggestions for the recommended word count and readability for the content you are creating. Checking your content for originality and ensuring the website doesn’t have a plagiarism issue is another neat addition that makes the difference in the Semrush vs Long Tail pro analysis.
- Local SEO and social media management. It’s easy to monitor all local business profiles from a single dashboard, and Semrush Social does wonders for streamlining your social media content publishing. Influencer analytics can assist in identifying the right ones to help your campaign and checking the results.
It’s clear that Long Tail Pro doesn’t have that many features, but here’s what you can expect from this platform:
- SERP analysis. The report will show your strongest competitor rank, break down Google results based on organic searches, ads, featured snippets, and other details, and offer average keyword difficulty information. Extensive information about the competitors also includes external and internal links, site age, and other useful factors.
- LTP Academy. If you are ready to know more and use this tool, the academy helps you discover how to make the most out of the platform. Other courses like technical SEO mastery and content domination are also available, but the prices vary.
Semrush has three standard pricing plans:
- Pro. It costs $129.95 monthly and it’s suitable for individuals and small teams. You ger five projects and 500 credits to receive daily keyword updates. Backlink and domain analytics are also included for up to five projects.
- Guru. For $249.95 monthly, you get access to historical data, Looker Studio integration, and a content marketing platform. On top of that, you can open 15 projects and 1,500 keyword tracking updates daily.
- Business. It’s great for large businesses since it covers up to 40 projects, and also unlocks API access and the Share of Voice metric. The subscription costs $499.99 monthly.
You can save up to 17% if you pay annually. There’s a 7-day free trial, but you’ll need to add credit card details.
Long Tail Pro
You notice a similarity in Semrush pricing vs Long Tail Pro pricing since both platforms have three subscription options. Here are the details for this SEO service:
- Starter. For $59.99 monthly, you can launch two projects and track up to 800 keywords daily. Rank tracking and chat and email support are a part of this plan, as well as site audits.
- Pro. It costs $89.99 monthly and unlocks up to ten projects and three user seats. The subscription also covers 2,500 keyword results and calculations daily.
- Agency. The most comprehensive package for agencies costs $299.99 monthly, unlimited projects and five user seats.
The discount is 25% if you pay annually for any of the packages. The trial that lasts 8 days costs $8.
In the Long Tail Pro pricing vs Semrush pricing showdown, there’s no clear winner. Semrush is more expensive and doesn’t have as generous a discount for annual payments. However, it also offers more features and functions, so don’t think twice if you need an all-around SEO platform that’s good value for money.
Alternative to Long Tail Pro and Semrush
You’ve read our Long Tail Pro vs Semrush comparison, but no platform seems like the right fit for you. If that’s your opinion, allow us to suggest the best alternative for all your keyword research and other SEO needs!
The beautiful thing about SE Ranking is that it keeps improving ever since the launch in 2013. Developers had an idea to make SEO software accessible to anyone, regardless of how tech-savvy they are. Today, the platform has over 800,000 users and these are its main features:
- Keywords. You get a detailed rank tracker for multiple search engines and any location. The research tool helps you to create keyword groups for paid and organic searches.
- Backlink tools. The analysis covers everything from anchor texts to referring domains. You can analyze competitors to search for backlinks and receive ratings about page and domain authorities.
- Site audit. A comprehensive audit with an assessment of core web vitals and prioritizing issues to resolve on the site. You can also use the on-page checker and page changes monitor for more information about specific website areas.
- Content marketing. A simple content editor helps you create a brief based on the top-ranked pages for your topic. You can see your content score and suggested terms to add, and even use the AI writer as assistance.
- Local marketing. Agencies can run multiple Google Business profiles with SE Ranking, and also track and reply to user feedback.
Social media analytics, a marketing plan, and many other extra features only increase the value of money provided by SE Ranking.
If we solely compare what SEO tools can do, the clear winner of the Semrush vs Long Tail Pro showdown is Semrush. It has the largest database in the industry and offers thematic reports, extensive keyword research data, and loads of other useful information. If you appreciate scratching deep below the surface and want to ensure you don’t miss a single detail important for your digital marketing efforts, this is the tool for you.
On the other hand, Long Tail Pro is simpler to use and more leaning toward less advanced users. Whether you are a beginner, an individual professional, or a small team, that could be attractive. LTP offers extensive keyword research analysis, with a focus on long-term phrases that can help improve rankings with a limited budget.
All other features, however, are quite basic. On the other hand, having backlink analysis, site audit, and rank tracking available at a significantly lower price might attract you to this platform. Ultimately, deciding the Long Tail Pro vs Semrush winner will solely depend on what you expect from an SEO platform.