Developing successful SEO strategies to become a leader in your industry requires robust SEO tools. After carefully scrutinizing the digital marketing sphere, we can affirm Ubersuggest and Semrush to be among the hottest platforms for full optimization. These apps boast all-in-one toolkits that perform brilliant keyword research, rank tracking, site auditing, competitor investigation, backlink analysis, and more. At the same time, by closely scrutinizing Semrush vs Ubersuggest, users can uncover their unique utilities and the differences in their core capabilities.
So if you are unsure about which service will bring more value to your business, this in-depth Ubersuggest vs Semrush comparison will help you make the right choice. Our experts have tested each SEO product in detail to provide honest feedback on their pros and cons, functions, and pricing tiers. Read on to discover which platform best suits your needs.
What Are Semrush and Ubersuggest?
When it comes to veterans of SEO optimization, Semrush is definitely one of them. Established in 2008 by a small team of SEO and IT specialists, the platform initially targeted competitive research. However, numerous advancements and experiments have turned the service into a decent all-purpose solution to climb the Google SERPs. Semrush allows users to seamlessly and effectively handle every SEO task, from keyword research and rank monitoring to site auditing and link-building. Starting out with just 2 tools, today the app offers marketers and companies over 50 utilities to get an edge over the competition.
- Has one of the largest databases of keywords and backlinks
- Extensive suite of tools, covering SEO, social media, and PPC features
- Accurate and comprehensive keyword and backlink metrics, including the Keyword Intent function
- Impeccable competitive research insights in terms of keywords
- Potent link-building capabilities with a strong emphasis on tracking outreach campaigns
- Thorough site crawling for more than 140 technical issues
- Offers excellent value for money and provides generous usage allowances
- Traffic analytics data lack granularity for performing advanced streamlining
- The UI can be a bit overwhelming, especially for beginners
- Delivers data to optimize for Google only
Back in 2012 when Ubersuggest was Initially developed as a keyword generator 2, it didn’t enjoy great popularity. But after 5 years everything drastically changed, when experienced entrepreneur Neil Patel acquired the platform and transformed it into an SEO powerhouse for marketers and bloggers. Today, Ubersuggest is a valuable all-in-one SEO instrument for enhancing digital marketing efforts. Both small businesses and large companies can deploy successful strategies with ultra-powerful features for keyword exploration, rank tracking, backlink analysis, and more.
- User-friendly interface
- Outstanding keyword research tool with efficient and detailed long-tail keyword suggestions
- A selection of content ideas for any key term
- 360-degree backlink data of any site
- Conveniently checks fluctuations in rankings from different locations both on desktop and mobile devices
- A free version and a 7-day trial period are available
- The data might sometimes be inaccurate
- Slow loading while running several reports concurrently
- The Basic plan has many limitations in the results
If you want to lead the industry game, tracking your competitors’ digital footprints is decisive. So we will review competitive research functionality in our Ubersuggest vs Semrush battle.
If we had to leave out one feature from the entire Semrush toolset, it would definitely be Competitive Analysis. Depending on your priority point, you can unveil various facets of competitive online presence with four intelligent modules, like Traffic Analytics, Organic Research, Advertising Research, and Social Media Tracker. Before choosing between Semrush or Ubersuggest, it is worth figuring out how these functionalities can help develop winning strategies to outpace opponents.
- Traffic Analytics. It allows analyzing any competitive site’s performance in terms of traffic volume, and mobile and desktop user engagement. Define your head-to-head rivals by gauging aspects such as visits, unique visitors, average visit duration, bounce rate, locations, etc. Users may also thoroughly compare their audience with those of competitors, explore any company’s conversions and campaigns with top pages, and conduct bulk traffic analysis of up to 200 sites at a time.
- Organic Research. This department brings value in revealing the most profitable organic keywords and content of rivals. Find new opportunities to get your pages to the top of the SERPs by investigating detailed competitive insights like keyword trends, top position changes, estimated traffic, SERP features, search intent, CPC, etc.
- Advertising Research. Our Semrush vs Ubersuggest team states this is a vital capability for delving deep into rivals’ paid search strategies. Deploy beneficial PPC campaigns by scrutinizing competitors’ spending changes, bidding keywords, and subdomains they direct paid traffic to.
- Social Media Tracker. With this utility, you can boost your social media strategies via scheduling and cross-posting to accounts on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and more. In addition, get insights into your social channel competitors’ publishing frequency, increase/decline of followers, most traffic-engaging hashtags and publications, exposure, etc. The icing on the cake is automated email reporting. Receive well-structured data on the main social media KPIs in a visually appealing manner.
The crucial thing to keep in mind when you compare Semrush and Ubersuggest is that the latter software doesn’t provide a separate tool for competitive analysis. So to compile a holistic picture of the competitive landscape, you should extract data from three modules – Traffic, Keywords, and Backlinks.
- Traffic. Gaining insights on opponents’ traffic performance is easy peasy indeed. Just insert the domain in the search box and the platform will quickly process it and generate a complete overview by metrics like organic keywords, monthly traffic, domain authority, and backlinks. For more granular auditing, you can check the top pages of rivals, along with a breakdown of keywords that attract heavy organic traffic by country.
- Keywords. With this feature, it is possible to obtain a list of top-performing competitive keywords, including a comprehensive analysis for metrics like search volume, positions in SERPs, estimated monthly visits, CPC, and SEO difficulty. Users can filter this list of key terms by difficulty to determine what keywords are easiest to rank for. Another fantastic function is being able to sort the keyword table by volume and position and to include and exclude particular terms. This alleviates manual endeavors and saves time. Finally, the Keyword Gaps in the Similar Website category will showcase all of the keywords your rivals rank for, but you don’t. This is useful for disclosing key terms with high volume and CPC to incorporate into your strategies.
- Backlink Opportunity. According to most Ubersuggest vs Semrush reviews, this tool enables you to compare your domain with those of opponents and look through specific URLs to detect who links to competitive sites. That way, marketers can reveal the not-yet-engaged sources to generate backlinks from that competitors are already taking advantage of.
Frankly speaking, competitive research by Ubersuggest leaves much to be desired since it covers only surface-level data on your competition’s online activities.
If you want a robust and efficacious ally to thoroughly investigate competitors, then Semrush wins the duel. In the course of the Semrush vs Ubersuggest comparison we determined that the latter app might be helpful solely for peeping into your opponents’ top pages, best organic keywords, and backlinks. On the other hand, Semrush will empower you with diligent data not only regarding competitors’ SEO efforts but also their activities within content marketing, advertising, and social media marketing.
Even if your content is topic-relevant and of the highest quality, it won’t bring towering rankings to the site without trusted backlinks. So understanding the backlink analysis potential of the selected tool should be a focal review point as well. The following department is devoted to Semrush vs Ubersuggest link-building opportunities to assist you in making a reasonable decision.
The Backlink Analysis toolbox is without a doubt the precious gem of Semrush. With its 5 high-end solutions and a fresh database of roughly 43T backlinks, you can build a strong backlink profile and unearth promising sources to reach links. Each feature may significantly benefit your business in its own way.
- Backlink Analytics. As the name implies, this tool will measure your backlink profile from top to bottom, tracking progress and swiftly finding backlinks. It also provides key backlink data to build a strategy, filters reports to discover the best prospects, verifies backlink types, determines backlink location distribution, and more.
- Backlink Audit Tool. As our Ubersuggest vs Semrush team mentions, you can perform top-notch link assessments with over 50 metrics to keep your profile healthy. Users can run complete audits to remove or disavow harmful links by checking an accurate Toxicity Score, and getting personalized insights and recommendations.
- Backlink Gap. This functionality aims to spot link-building opportunities that you didn’t even know about. The same relates to discovering valuable link prospects. Benchmark against up to 5 rivals and explore which referring domains you are missing. By viewing the Authority Score, you can discover those with the highest SEO value to build links.
- Bulk Backlink Analysis. Users may strengthen their backlink profiles lightning-fast and hassle-free by analyzing competitive backlinks in bulk. Insert up to 200 URLs or sites to uncover profitable prospects for your outreach strategy.
- Link Building Tool. Get a bird’s eye view of link-building prospects based on target keywords, opponents, brand mentions, etc. to select the best-fitting sites to connect with. Leveraging customizable email templates and keeping an eye on outreach efforts are also at your disposal.
This Ubersuggest comparison underlines that the platform has a single versatile tool for performing backlink audits, unlike Semrush. The Backlink Checker enables 3 types of reports: for the particular URL, for the domain excluding subdomains, and for the domain with all subdomains. After picking the needed option, the tool will showcase detailed insights into:
- Domain Authority,
- total number of backlinks, including do follow/nofollow ratio,
- amount of referring domains,
- new/lost referring domains,
- backlinks performance over time.
Furthermore, you can see how you stack up against your top competitors in an instant and look over a full list of URLs directed to your site. To evaluate the received backlinks more thoroughly, you can conduct a URL analysis by metrics like:
- Source title,
- target page,
- Domain Authority,
- Page Authority,
- Spam Score,
- anchor text,
- first/last seen.
For those who are seeking more dedicated backlink profile optimization, Ubersuggest offers an advanced filtering functionality. Stay ahead of the competition by reinforcing link-building efforts with:
- Search Box – Enter any term or phrase and the tool will automatically find URLs, anchor texts, or titles that comprise these words.
- Zone Filtering – This feature aids in excluding and including specific domain extensions, such as .net, .com, .co.uk, etc.
- Referring Domain – Easily include or exclude links coming from particular domains to find what you need faster.
- Anchor – You can detect links by the requisite anchor text or remove links with a specific anchor in no time.
One more nifty thing about the Backlink Checker is you can export to CSV. It is always there for you to process and cluster the data in a more sophisticated way.
In the context of backlinks analysis by our Semrush vs Ubersuggest comparison, Semrush is more suitable. This is because Ubersuggest has fairly basic capabilities with sometimes inaccurate data. Of course, it can improve your backlink profile, but compared to Semrush, with its 5 all-purpose solutions and constant feature enhancement, it noticeably lags behind.
Keyword research is the starting point for any site optimization, which is not surprising. Without knowing the right key terms to target, your business won’t be able to attain high rankings and conversions. So we had to test Ubersuggest vs Semrush concerning features related to keyword investigation.
Covering a bunch of features and the greatest market database of 25B keywords, Semrush ensures quality and granularity within every keyword research conducted. It encompasses 6 specific modules responsible for different SEO improvements in terms of keywords.
- Keyword Overview. This section will come in handy to understand if you are moving in the right direction with your keyword strategies. Enjoy a brief and insightful overview of core keyword metrics like monthly search volume, global search volume KD score, CPC, search intent, and search volume trend. By digging deeper, you can reveal keyword suggestions based on seed key terms, clustered into question-based/related keywords and keyword variations.
- Keyword Magic Tool. According to our Semrush vs Ubersuggest review experts, this feature is the most comprehensive and is ideal for performing profound keyword exploration. Unearth tons of keyword combinations on any topic and obtain priceless terms ideally aligned with your target audience.
- Organic Research. It lets users discover the most profitable keywords of competitors and optimize existing organic key terms to win SERPs that resonate with their target audience.
- Keyword Gap. Unveil missing keyword opportunities to incorporate into further campaigns. With this block, Semrush enables the benchmarking of up to 5 competitor keyword profiles simultaneously.
- Keyword Manager. You can create keyword clusters and lists from scratch to share with your team for effective project management or integrate them into other Semrush tools to snowball streamlining.
- Organic Traffic Insights. Semrush helps you to spot not-provided keywords and cross-reference data on the site’s organic search performance via seamless Google Analytics integration.
To start carrying out keyword research by Ubersugest, just type in the required keyword, and in seconds, the tool will generate a visually attractive report. If you take a good look at Semrush and Ubersuggest toolkits, it becomes clear that they vary in the way keyword investigation works. Ubersuggest doesn’t have separate tools and its research is based on three main pillars:
- Keyword Overview. The colorful dashboard will display all the critical keyword data in terms of monthly search volume, SEO difficulty, paid difficulty, and CPC. You also get a unique tip box on the number of backlinks you have to build to rank in the top 10 for targeted keywords. Plus, with the search volume graph, you can discover which key terms are gaining or losing popularity over time and how your seasonal keywords perform in mobile and desktop versions. Ubersuggest is equally helpful for reviewing competitors’ top SEO pages that are ranking for the hottest organic key phrases across different channels.
- Keyword Suggestions. Like many Semrush vs Ubersuggest reviews we confirm that enriching your keyword ideas is as easy as pie with the help of end-to-end site analytics. Acquire thousands of suggestions from short to long-tail gems and pinpoint their volume, competition, and seasonal trends. To get even more benefits, the tool will give you a list of keywords based on what is performing for opponents, as well as the most frequently typed queries on Google.
- Content Ideas. You can use this tab to delve into first-class content pieces for any given topic the audience is interested in real-time, including keywords. Measure the potential of each article regarding estimated traffic, backlinks, and social shares.
When you compare Ubersuggest and Semrush regarding keyword research capabilities, the latter app is an evident leader. Regardless of accurate keyword metrics, a decent amount of keyword suggestions, and promising content ideas by Ubersuggest, Semrush still offers many more goodies. It will assist in not only showing invaluable long-tail options, along with thousands of keyword combinations but also provide organic traffic insights and reveal missing keyword opportunities. Not to mention constantly updated research mechanisms.
While learning which rank-tracking functionalities might enhance the monitoring of your online presence, experts in the Ubersuggest vs Semrush field have figured out three essential perks of Semrush:
- Position Tracking. Keep abreast of all fluctuations in rankings across different search engines. You can compare your and your rivals’ rankings distribution, including Google’s organic top 3, 10, 20, and 100. It is also feasible to determine specific domains competing with your site for traffic and high-performing competitive landing pages, alongside keywords. With the Position Tracking tool, you are free to discover opportunities to appear at the top of the SERPs with featured snippets and monitor site performance across various locations and devices. To prevent a fall in rankings, you can segment an array of search terms by tags and pinpoint keyword cannibalization.
- Volatility Check. Adored by numerous Semrush comparison reviewers, this tool is great for uncovering every single algorithm update’s impact on your rankings. Users can find reasons behind modifications with instant email and browser notifications, custom keyword sets to track daily position fluctuations, and hints on recent updates and their peculiarities. If you need to run a more extensive audit, compare volatility between countries, categories, databases, and so on.
- Global Online Research. With the proprietary Rank Score, disclose which domains get the most organic search traffic at a national level. You can analyze competitors’ sites on their keyword performance (organic and paid) and traffic costs. Semrush also comes with historical data from 2012 to give you a clear picture of traffic trends over time.
The essential thing to remember when deciding on Ubersuggest or Semrush is that Ubersuggest requires the creation of a project for keyword research. By doing so, you can track which keyword’s ranks rise, or drop over time. On top of that, users can always stay updated on whether specific keywords have been changed or not with weekly email notifications.
The center stage of the dashboard is the Keyword Rankings overview. The report will inform you about the rank that your site scores for tracked keywords. Be aware that adding key terms to the project doesn’t mean you can view any related data. If users choose particular keywords/phrases to monitor, they should be present on the site as content pieces so they may extract needed stats on the dashboard.
Furthermore, Ubersuggest enables you to peek into competitors’ progress in rank positions. The platform helps record competitive ranking performance in the SERPs, along with keyword rank history. Building on strategies to get an edge over rivals requires you to scrutinize each competitor’s organic keywords, organic monthly traffic, domain score, and backlinks.
According to Semrush vs Ubersuggest experts, the multiple location rank monitoring lacks convenience and automaticity. This means that you have to perform identical processes for each chosen city, country, etc., every time you switch between locations or choose all locations at once.
In the course of our Ubersuggest vs Semrush comparison, we ascertained that Semrush delivers more powerful rank-monitoring capacities. It will keep you updated on your and your competitors’ ranking performance in detail and make data-driven decisions to optimize for top-of-SERPs locally and globally. Meanwhile, Ubersuggest can’t boast as many features as its direct opponent, but it still is a fine match for marketers who are searching for basic functionality to track keyword ranks.
Last but not least in our Ubersuggest vs Semrush functionality showdown is site audit. Semrush encompasses a comprehensive toolkit to ensure the scanning of any site for on-page SEO and technical errors. With its extensive auditing mechanisms for over 140 site health issues, both newbie marketers and established entrepreneurs can swiftly find and effectively fix all gaps to climb the Google SERPs. By crawling through the pages, the tool will find aspects that negatively influence your ranking ability. These include:
- duplicate content,
- incorrect redirects,
- canonical pages,
- large page size,
- slow loading time,
- crawl errors,
- keyword stuffing,
- missing headers.
Detected issues are grouped into two sections: errors, warnings, and notices, depending on how important and dangerous they are to the site. Semrush pays attention to the frequency of issues and showcases the urgent ones to fix. Thus, users can clearly see what bugs to prioritize to improve the Site Health score.
As our Semrush vs Ubersuggest review team declares, Semrush might satisfy you with more advanced findings against SEO facets like:
- Internal Linking – You can look through malfunctions such as broken links, too many on-page links, nofollow attributes in outgoing internal links, etc. to properly organize the site structure and achieve nifty PageRank distribution.
- HTTP – By verifying all security protocols and certificates are up to date and that all subdomains support HSTS, secure your site from cyber attacks.
- International SEO – This feature helps avoid incorrect herflang tags implementation if you are running a multilingual site so Google serves the audience the right version of the site.
Moreover, the Site Audit contributes to your site optimization with fantastic reporting functions. Be sure you can catch all upcoming errors before they turn into major breakdowns. Automated weekly scheduling of technical SEO crawling will save you time and effort, providing you with outcomes directly in your inbox.
As in the tools above, the auditing process starts with entering the site’s URL here. Still, when deciding on Ubersuggest vs Semrush, you should know that the overall site scan is more time-consuming with the first app. After the crawling is done, you will see the following insights on the dashboard:
- on-page SEO score,
- organic monthly traffic,
- organic keywords,
- pages discovered across search engines,
- SEO issues.
In essence, the tool gives users a surface-level overview of things that are not performing well on the site. Audits primarily target on-page SEO, delivering info about duplicate meta descriptions and word count.
The section that Semrush vs Ubersuggest comparison reviews emphasize is the On-Page SEO Score box. It makes you drill down to any critical issue or warnings, and get actionable recommendations. The tool identifies healthy pages and those with malfunctions, broken, blocked, or redirected pages.
When it comes to auditing site speed, Ubersuggest comes with three dashboards displaying a vivid breakdown of loading speed stats both on desktop and mobile devices. There are 3 grades to score loading time– great, needs improvement, and poor, corresponding to how many seconds users have to wait for the site or some of it to upload. If your load time exceeds 3-5 seconds, you risk getting lower conversion rates. The platform allows you to accurately measure speed issues by the following elements:
- load time,
- and visual stability.
If you are only learning the SEO ropes and not sure about the meaning of some problems, you can click the question mark sign next to the needed issue and the tool will provide an explanation.
The Top SEO Issues block repeats insights from the On-Page SEO Score box by and large. But there is one standout function. It singles out 3 important issues to fix that might favor marketers who want quick and unassuming optimization.
When comparing Semrush vs Ubersuggest, even users with no experience can see that the auditing toolset by Semrush is better by leaps and bounds. While Ubersuggest pinpoints solely on-page and speed issues, Semrush performs a 360-degree site health scanning, sending audit reports to email.
Comparison of Other Features
After reviewing the gold standard tools to streamline your online presence in this Ubersuggest vs Semrush comparison, it is worth taking into consideration some other unique assets of each platform.
- Listing Management. This is a credible assistant for raising local visibility and brand reputation that distributes your business details to more than 70 online directories.
- Social Media Toolkit. This suite of features aims to facilitate your SMM performance efforts with in-depth analytics, scheduling social media posts, and seamless running ads.
- Advertising Toolkit. With this feature, unveiling your opponents’ advertising strategies in detail, and detecting and scrutinizing PPC keywords, including promising ones, is hassle-free.
- Content Marketing Tool. Users can enrich their content marketing campaigns with relevant topics, craft SEO-friendly articles for any targeted keywords, and audit written content pieces in real time against personalized SEO tips.
- AI Writer. Indicate the keyword or key phrase you want to rank for and smart bots will generate the content, including titles, meta descriptions, and headings, with maximum SEO value.
- Traffic Overview. Makes it effortless to assess traffic from any domain by stats like organic traffic, related keywords, traffic cost, and more.
- Chrome Extension. Provides a holistic picture of search results of any visited domain on Google, YouTube, and Amazon regarding mobile and desktop search numbers, related keyword suggestions, and organic and paid keyword analytics. It is also feasible to gauge any visited site on traffic data, Domain Authority, and backlinks.
- SEO Opportunities. Assists in discovering new profitable content opportunities for keywords to rank high, via filtering suggestions and tasks by type and arranging them by priority.
You want the platform to give value for money, so the Semrush pricing vs Ubersuggest pricing overview is the last pivotal brick before making the ultimate decision.
The pricing policy might seem a bit expensive at first glance. But considering the cutting-edge toolset with a suite of advanced features and huge databases, it is well worth it. Plus, Semrush offers a Free plan on limited functionalities and a 7-day free trial within each package. Depending on the number of projects to run, keywords to track, and results per report, users can pick from 3 plans on a monthly subscription basis:
- Pro – $129.95 (for entry-level marketers)
- Guru – $249.95 (for mid-size companies and agencies)
- Business – $499.95 (for large enterprises)
In addition, you can qualify for a discount of up to 17% if you pay annually, or leverage a bunch of useful add-ons which are charged separately.
Unlike its competitor, Ubersuggest appears to be a more affordable solution. Tailored to different needs of daily search monitoring, keyword/domain tracking, page scan, and competitor analysis, the software offers 3 pricing tiers:
- Individual –$12/month (suitable for start-up bloggers, freelancers)
- Business – $20/month (suitable for small and medium businesses)
- Enterprise – $40/month (suitable for large companies)
The most stunning thing is you can save 90% with a lifetime package and enjoy a free Chrome extension. Another perk is users may test the app for a week without having to spend a dime.
By analyzing Ubersuggest pricing vs Semrush pricing, the first platform is more pocket-friendly. Still, the final choice should also consider the cost-benefit ratio. Ubersuggest lags behind in some features and offerings, though it is considerably cheaper than its competitor. But if you are looking for basic SEO capabilities, it makes no sense to overpay for Semrush.
Alternative to Ubersuggest and Semrush
Got the most of Semrush and Ubersuggest capacities and want to reinforce yourself with a more progressive toolkit? There is no better solution than SE Ranking. The unity of accomplished tools and flexible pricing will make you fall in love with the platform. Its extensive keyword and backlink databases will refine your SEO performance from keyword research and rank tracking to backlink tracking and competitor analysis. On top of that, powerful AI mechanisms and Google’s NLP algorithms will successfully handle every SEO task in terms of content and local marketing.
Still, it is far from everything SE Ranking can boast. From novice digital marketers and small businesses to mid-size agencies and well-known brands, users can take advantage of accurate on-page spot checks, flawless white-label reporting, API, and more, all packed in a user-friendly interface with smooth navigation.
When it comes to prices, this cloud-based software is in the same ballpark as other leading tools, concurrently ensuring greater value for money with built-in capabilities. Starting as low as $55 for the Essential plan, even those who have limited investment possibilities can experience top-notch optimization with SE Ranking.
Having taken every tool described in our Ubersuggest vs Semrush digest into consideration, the latter service wins this race. You can benefit from state-of-the-art features for keyword research, backlink analysis, competitive audit, rank monitoring, and site crawling. Every single SEO process will be accompanied by granular stats, rich metrics to measure, and detailed reports. Meanwhile, there are huge databases of keywords and backlinks ready to reshape your strategies by uncovering valuable insights and new opportunities.
Conversely, Ubersuggest comes with more modest functionality, although it contains the same tools. In addition, some aspects of SEO streamlining lack accuracy and completeness. Nevertheless, marketers can find some decent features for content enhancement there. Even if Ubersuggest can’t dominate over Semrush, it is a perfect match for individuals who need a basic toolkit to grow their site without breaking the bank.